Thursday, April 24, 2008

No Chocolate Stylists in Chocolate City?

So with DC known as Chocolate City why is it so hard to find chocolate stylists? Don't chocolate people have hair? All the major beauty/fashion sites do a great job of promoting non-ethnic salons. Word of wisdom to the Vanilla folk...us Chocolate folk have hair too! Now I must admit that I do live outside of city limits in Alexandria and I would love to find the perfect salon for a busy young woman like myself here but I would go to the city in a heartbeat if I could find the perfect salon. I have tried several. Here are my findings:

Soul Day Spa and Salon: Wayyyy too expensive and I made an appointment on a Sunday in which the stylist never showed up (oh yes, I did complain to the owner)

Stella Blu: Is advertised as this super trendy salon with a boutique on the bottom floor. Reality= 1 (yes! just one!) stylist upstairs who has been over-booked for days and over priced clothes by local designers on the bottom level. Needless to say, I did NOT get my hair done that day.

Bubbles at Pentagon City: This was working for awhile (or maybe I stayed because I loved the color line). As a brown girl I should be used to the salon antics these stylists try to pull of (i.e. sitting in the salon all day) but this is not a "urban" salon and the stylist still tried to pull that crap and did less than perfection on my head. NEXT!

Special Touch International Hair Design: So I thought I'd try out a Dominican Salon to see what all the hype was about. Honestly, the hair wasn't bad but the service was. I had to be the only non-Spanish speaking client in the salon and they made me feel very uncomfortable. This salon is close to my house so I occasionally go for a quick trim (which is charged as a cut).

PR at Partners at Metro Center: This is my most recent try. I loved the fact that the stylists' claim to fame is getting you in and out. I was the only client she had and was out in a little over an hour. Bad part-the color she put on my hair has broken off a part of my hair that was already damaged.

So here is all I am looking for in a salon/stylist:

1. Affordability
2. Hair care over hair style
3. Respect my time (because I respected yours and was on time for my appointment)
4. Friendly
5. Uses a blow dryer! I do NOT want to sit under the dryer for an hour so you can squeeze 5 more clients in.
6. All of the above

My search continues...

No comments: